State of California, County of Mendocino
Court Business
    About the Court
    Case Index
    Court Reporters
    Court Rules
    Fee Schedule
    Home Page
    Judicial Officers
    Jury Duty
    Phone Directory
    Press Releases
    Security Screening
    Standing Orders
    Tentative Rulings
Court Divisions
    Drug Court-Adult
    Drug Court-FDDC
    Small Claims
    Fort Bragg
    Point Arena
    Ukiah (Main)
Related Links
    County of Mendocino
      Board of Supv.
      Grand Jury
      Law Library
    Judicial Council
    Self Help Center
    State Code (Laws)
    State Rules of Court
Civil Division

The Civil Division of the Court, processes actions brought by people, businesses or parties to recover property, to force someone to honor a contract, or to protect one's personal rights.

This Division handles all civil matters, including family law, juvenile court, probate, and small claims.

  • Court Clerk Information
  • Jurisdiction
  • Civil Mediation
  • Forms and Filing
  • Fees
  • Requests for Copies of a Court Document
  • Requests to View a Case File
  • Ex Parte Hearings
  • Telephonic Appearances
  • Civil Calendar
  • Local Court Rules

  • Court Clerk Information

    Civil/Family Law/Juvenile/Probate/Small Claims Division:
    100 North State Street, Room 107
    Ukiah, CA  95482-4416

    Telephone Numbers:
    Family Law - (707) 468-2001
    Civil Law & Motion - (707) 468-2003
    Civil Trials - (707) 468-2004
    Juvenile - (707) 468-2006
    Probate - (707) 468-2005

    Small Claims - (707) 468-2002

    Fax Number:
    (707) 463-6850

    Court Clerk's Office Hours:
    8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

    Telephone Hours:
    8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

    Information for other court locations can be found by clicking on the location name in the left column of this page.



    With the unification of the Municipal and Superior courts, the unified court, now known as the "Superior Court of California, County of Mendocino" has jurisdiction over all small claims, limited and unlimited civil cases.

    • Small Claims
      When the amount being sought is $5,000 or less, ($7,500 or less for natural persons) then the claim may be filed in Small Claims.
    • Limited Civil
      (Code of Civil Procedure section 85 et seq.)
       The amount claimed cannot be for more than $25,000.

    • Unlimited Civil
      The amount claimed is generally more than $25,000, but can be for smaller amounts in certain types of cases.  Other types of cases filed in the unlimited jurisdiction is family law, probate,  guardianship, conservatorship, juvenile, restraining orders, Uniform Parentage Act, Uniform Interstate Family Support Act; freedom from parental custody and control proceedings; adoption proceedings, petitions for name change; election contest petitions; and petitions for relief from late claims.


    Small Claims Mediation

    Mediation gives you the opportunity to reach your own agreement, rather than having the Court decide the outcome for you.  The Court in Ukiah will direct you to Mediation at the commencement of your hearing.  If a resolution is not reached you will be directed back to the courtroom for commencement of the trial. 

    Mediation is:

    Results Oriented – A qualified impartial mediator will facilitate communication with parties in conflict so they can reach their own workable solutions.

    Time Saving - Results reached in mediation are typically quicker than can be achieved in litigation.

    Cost Effective – There is no fee to the parties for the first two hours. After the first two hours, if the parties choose to continue the mediation, the mediator may charge his or her hourly rate.

    Confidential - Communications during your mediation are protected by California Evidence Code sections 1115 to 1128 as confidential and not admissible as evidence in court. Any agreement reached in mediation, however, will be admissible and treated as enforceable by the Court.

    Easy to schedule - If your matter has been scheduled for a court appearance on a Friday morning in Ukiah, the judicial officer hearing your matter will automatically assign a mediator to your case the morning of your hearing.  If you would like to seek mediation prior to your hearing, you can consult your local phone book, under "Mediation Services" and arrange for mediation.


    Forms and Filing

    Forms may be either purchased in the civil division clerk's office, photocopied (10 cents a copy) at the Law Library or obtained on-line from the Judicial Council website. By law, the clerks can not provide legal advice, including which forms to use.

    All paperwork must be typewritten. There are typewriters available for public use at the Public Library at 105 N. Main Street in Ukiah or the Law Library in the Ukiah courthouse, Room 307.



    See the Fee Schedule for civil filing and appearance fees. If you believe that you are unable to afford these fees, ask the court clerk for a Request to Waive Fees. There is no charge for this form.

    Pursuant to CCP 411.21, effective January 1, 2006, if you file a complaint or other first paper and only pay a portion of the fee:

    The Court will mail you a NOTICE of the remaining fee you owe. A $25.00 administration fee will be assessed for the partial payment, and you will have 20 days from the date the notice is mailed to pay the remaining fee balance and the $25.00 administration charge, by cash, certified check or money order. 

    You may request a REFUND of the partial payment in writing within the 20 days from the date the notice is mailed. The $25.00 administrative charge will be deducted from the refund unless you have a trial or other hearing date set before the 20 days are up.

    If your trial or hearing is scheduled to be heard before the 20 days are up, the remaining balance must be paid by cash, certified check or money order BEFORE the matter is heard by the Court.


    Telephonic Appearances

    Unless otherwise ordered, parties may appear by telephone in cases defined in California Rule of Court 3.670(b) and in proceedings defined in California Rule of Court 3.670(c).  The court has contracted with CourtCall, LLC to provide teleconferencing services for court appearances.  Information as to the forms and fees for requesting telephonic appearances may be obtained directly from CourtCall at -800-88-COURT.   


    Ex Parte Hearings

    Contact the court to reserve your hearing date at least one-day prior to the date you wish your matter heard. Notice requirements are in accordance with California Rule of Court 3.1203.  All paperwork must be submitted to the clerk’s office no later than 11:00 a.m. the day of your hearing including the Declaration Regarding Notice.  Local form number MMC-120 can be used.  


    Civil Calendar

    Visit our On-Line Court Calendar page for information on hearings set for the next 30 days.

    Calendar times and places are subject to change at any time. On the day of the hearing, check the calendars posted on the calendar bulletin board for that day's court assignments. 

    The Court organizes and groups similar types of hearings together for efficiency.  The Calendar Plan lists the specific times and courtrooms that hearings are held.

    Calendar Plan 


    Top of Page | Home Page | Court Business | Court Divisions | Locations | Related Links

    How can we help?  If you have business at the Courthouse and require accommodations because of a disability, or need the assistance of an interpreter or assisted-listening device, please contact the court in advance. Click here for more information on access to the Court.

    Please direct comments regarding this website to the Superior Court Webmaster
    2005 Superior Court of Mendocino County    All rights reserved      Last Updated: July 28, 2015