Friday, April 20, 2018
Self-Help Legal Access Center
Photos by Adam Stewart
North west corner of the Smithe Redwoods State Natural Reserve.
Ukiah: 100 North State Street, Ukiah, CA in Room 304:
Monday 9:30am - 4:00pm
Tuesday 9:30am - 4:00pm
Wednesday Guardianship Clinic Only
Thursday 9:30am - 4:00pm


Ten Mile Branch: 700 South Franklin Street, Fort Bragg, CA:*
Friday April 13 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday April 27 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday May 11 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday May 25 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday June 15 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday June 29 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday July 13 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday July 27 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday August 10 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday August 24 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday September 14 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday September 28 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday October 12 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday October 26 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday November 9 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday December 14 9:30am - 3:30pm
Friday December 28 9:30am - 3:30pm

*We close for lunch from 12:30 to 1:00 p.m. in Fort Bragg


We help on a walk-in first-come, first-served basis, so come early. You only need an appointment for the Guardianship Clinic.


Public Information (707)468-2020
Mailing Address: Self-Help Legal Access Center
  Superior Court of California, County of Mendocino
  100 North State Street
  Ukiah, CA 95482



Do you have a simple question?

If you have a simple question that we can handle by email, email us at We will respond within 5 business days. Do NOT email us if you need help right away or have an emergency.


How we can help you

The Self Help Legal Access Center helps with:

  • Restraining Orders
  • Divorce and Legal Separation
  • Parentage
  • Custody / Visitation
  • Name Changes
  • Gender Changes
  • Guardianship Petitions (by appointment only)
  • Other Guardianship Issues
  • Visitation Petitions for Grandparents
  • Small Claims
  • Referring you to other agencies for help

    ms or access the court’s website.


    Help in Your Language

    If you do not speak English well or are more comfortable in another language, we have staff that speaks Spanish. But if you speak another language other than Spanish it is best to bring another adult (someone at least 18 or older) who can translate for you.


    Children and the Court

    Please do not bring children when meeting with the Family Law Facilitator or Self Help Center. Children are not allowed to come to court hearings, with very limited exceptions, so when you come to the court, please ask someone to care for your children.




    If you need help with a domestic violence restraining order or a restraining order against someone who sexually assaulted, or if you need emergency shelter, counseling, or help going to court, contact Project Sanctuary at:


    Inland Office
    564 South Dora Street
    Ukiah, CA  95482
    (707) 462-9196


    Coastal Office
    461 North Franklin Street
    Fort Bragg, CA  95437
    (707) 961-1507



    The Self-Help Legal Access Center can also help you with a restraining order. We cannot go with you to court.

    If you need an emergency restraining order and Project Sanctuary or the Self-Help Center is closed, call the police or sheriff and ask for an Emergency Protective Order or EPO. An EPO lasts from 5 to 7 days, and gives you time to go to court and ask a Temporary Restraining Order.

    To find out more about domestic violence and domestic violence restraining orders, visit:

We cannot help you with criminal cases, bankruptcy, immigration, appeals, and general civil cases (except we may be able to explain legal processes to you). For immigration resources, visit:

Click to find out about our guardianship help and clinics and to find out how to make an appointment for the clinic.

The Self-Help Legal Access Center can give you legal information. We are not your lawyer. We can help both parties in a case. There is no confidentiality or attorney-client privilege with the staff of the Self-Help Legal Access Center. We cannot help you if you have a lawyer in your case. And we cannot go with you to court.

If you want legal advice about what you should do or how to manage your case, consult with your own lawyer. Also hire a lawyer if you want to have a confidential conversation or to be represented by a lawyer in court. Visit to find a lawyer.

We have packets of information and court forms available at the Self-Help Center. We also have videos, books and binders with useful legal information. And we have a limited number of computers you can use to fill out court for

© 2018 Superior Court of Mendocino County