State of California, County of Mendocino
Court Business
    About the Court
    Case Index
    Court Reporters
    Court Rules
    Fee Schedule
    Home Page
    Judicial Officers
    Jury Duty
    Phone Directory
    Press Releases
    Security Screening
    Standing Orders
    Tentative Rulings
Court Divisions
    Drug Court-Adult
    Drug Court-FDDC
    Small Claims
    Fort Bragg
    Point Arena
    Ukiah (Main)
Related Links
    County of Mendocino
      Board of Supv.
      Grand Jury
      Law Library
    Judicial Council
    Self Help Center
    State Code (Laws)
    State Rules of Court

    Small Claims

    A case may be filed in Small Claims if the amount being sought is $5,000 or less; $10,000 or less for "natural persons" (CCP 116.221).   Only two cases above $2,500 may be filed each year (CCP 116.231).   An attorney is not allowed to represent you in court. Resources for learning to present your own case are noted below.

    Small Claims Court Clerk Information

    Telephone Number:
    Ukiah:  (707) 468-2002
    Fort Bragg:  (707) 964-3192

    Court Clerk's Office Hours:
    8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

    Telephone Hours:
    8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday - Friday



    Code of Civil Procedure Section 116.220 states what actions can be filed in small claims court.

    One or more of the following statements must be true in order to file your small claims action in Mendocino County:

    A defendant lives in this judicial district, or if the defendant is a business that has its principal place of business in this judicial district.

    A person was injured or personal property was damaged in this judicial district.

    A defendant signed or entered into a contract in this judicial district, a defendant lived in this judicial district when the contract was entered into, a contract or obligation was to be performed in this judicial district, or if the defendant is a corporation, the contract was breached in this judicial district.

    ■ When a signed contract is involved see CCP 395(B), CCP 1812.10, and CCP 2984.4


    Forms and Filing

    A forms packet, "Information for the Small Claims Plaintiff", complete with Claim Form, is available from the court clerk's office.

    Other Small Claims forms are available from the court clerk, the Law Library or the Judicial Council website. 

    All paperwork must be typewritten or neatly written in black ink. There are typewriters available for public use at the Public Library at 105 N. Main St, Ukiah or the Law Library in the Ukiah courthouse, Room 307.


    Small Claims Advisor

    The Self Help Legal Access Center (SHLA Center) provides direct in-person service regarding all aspects of small claims proceedings. Visit the SHLA Center in the Ukiah Courthouse Monday-Thursday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm, or in Fort Bragg at one of their Friday clinics.


    Small Claims Mediation

    Mediation of Small Claims cases is not offered through the court. Parties that want to have their cases mediated need to arrange it on their own. 



    The Filing Fee is based on the amount of the claim:

    - Up to $1,500, the fee is $30.00
    - $1,500.01 to $5,000.00, the fee is $50.00
    - $5,000.01 to 10,000.00, the fee is $75.00

    If you have filed more than 12 claims in the past year, the filing fee is $100.00 per claim.


    Service of Documents

    The date and time of the small claims hearing is set when the plaintiff files the small claims case.  It is the plaintiff's responsibility to serve the defendant with the Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court that includes this court date. 

    Effective September 1, 2009, the option of service of the claim by return receipt (certified mail) will no longer be provided.

    If the other party does not agree with the date and time set, they will need to file a Request to Postpone Small Claims Hearing (Judicial Council form SC-110) and an Order on Request to Postpone Small Claims Hearings (SC-111) to continue the matter, along with a $10.00 filing fee.  


    Postponing your Hearing

    If the defendant has been served, either party can file with the Court a Request to Postpone Small Claims Hearing (Judicial Council form SC-150) and submit an Order on Request to Postpone Small Claims Hearings (SC-152), along with a $10.00 filing fee at least 10 days before the hearing.  Click on the form name to open the form.  These and other Judicial Council forms are available at


    Small Claims Advisor and Other Assistance

    If you need legal assistance and/or have questions about filing your claim, contact the Small Claims Division 24 hours a day for pre-recorded information at (707) 468-2002

    See the Law Library for reference books about Small Claims. Open to the public in the Ukiah courthouse, resources are available for all levels of legal research.

    See California Small Claims Courts Information Center for on-line resources, including the following:
    - Detailed Information
    - How to research your case
    - How to collect on a judgment

    The California State Department of Consumer Affairs offers small claims information on their website.

    Corporation records:

    Fictitious Business Names:


    Night Court

    Night Court for Small Claims cases is held at 5:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month in Ukiah. 

    Parties must use the Perkins Street entrance of the Ukiah Courthouse after 4:30 p.m.  The Perkins Street entrance will be locked at 5:30 p.m.  Please arrive 5 to 10 minutes early. 


    Small Claims Calendar

    Visit our On-Line Court Calendar page for information on hearings set for the next 30 days.

    Calendar times and places are subject to change at any time. On the day of the hearing, check the calendars posted on the calendar bulletin board for that day's court assignments. 

    The Court organizes and groups similar types of hearings together for efficiency.  The Calendar Plan lists the specific times and courtrooms that hearings are held.

    Calendar Plan

Top of Page | Home Page | Court Business | Court Divisions | Locations | Related Links

How can we help?  If you have business at the Courthouse and require accommodations because of a disability, or need the assistance of an interpreter or assisted-listening device, please contact the court in advance. Click here for more information on access to the Court.

Please direct comments regarding this website to the Superior Court Webmaster
© 2015 Superior Court of Mendocino County    All rights reserved      Last Updated: October 06, 2015