Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


- Face coverings required for everyone while inside the courthouse, regardless of vaccination status.

ADVISO DE SALUD PÚBLICA - Deberá usar cubrebocas en el edificio del tribunal, aunque esté vacunado.

Pleading Not Guilty / Contesting Your Citation

Traffic Clerk’s Office Information

Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding judicial holidays

Telephone hours: 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding judicial holidays
Ukiah Phone: (707)463-4660
Fort Bragg Phone:(707)964-3192

Pleading Not Guilty and Appearing for Trial

You have the right to plead ‘not guilty’ and request a court trial before a judge. At this trial you may produce evidence and examine witnesses. You may complete form MTR-190 Request for Court Trial in person or by mail to request your court trial. Once you have entered your plea of not guilty, you will be given a court date and the court will send a notice to the citing officer to appear at your trial and present evidence as to why the officer cited you.

MTR-190 - Request for Court Trial

You must enter your not guilty plea before the due date on your citation. Deposit of bail is not required to enter a plea of not guilty and request a court trial, unless you are requesting a trial by written declaration.

Once you have entered your plea of not guilty, you shall be deemed to have given a written promise to appear at the time designated by the court for trial. If you fail to appear at your trial, this may result in the trial going forward without you and you may be found guilty without being present, called "in absentia".

Pleading Not Guilty and Trial by Written Declaration

You may plead not guilty and elect to have a trial by written declaration instead of appearing in person for trial. You may request a trial by written declaration by completing and submitting forms and the full amount of the fine/bail on your courtesy notice on or before the due date shown on your citation.

Complete and submit these forms to the court:

TR-200 - Instructions to Defendant

TR-205 - Request for Trial by Written Declaration

Send in your completed forms and any witness statements or exhibits with the full fine/bail amount, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. You will be notified by mail of the judge's decision.

Was this helpful?