Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions - Jury Service
What if I lost my summons?

If you have lost or misplaced your summons, call the Jury Services office at (707)463-4663 or (707)961-6288 to speak to a jury clerk. You may also send an e-mail to

What if I missed my date?

Contact the Jury Services office to schedule a new date that you'll be able to make. Stop by the courthouse, call (707) 463-4663 or (707) 961-6288 to request a new date, or e-mail us at

At what time do I appear for jury service?

If you are selected to appear, the recording or website will tell you what time to report. This may be in the morning or in the afternoon, depending on the number of jurors needed that day.

How do people get called for jury service?

Names are randomly drawn from the list of registered voters and the Department of Motor Vehicles list of licensed drivers and identification cardholders.

I have received a summons for my son or daughter who is away attending college.  Do I have to mail it to them, or may I take care of this for them?

You may take care of this for them.  Under the “Disqualification” part, mark that they are not a resident of Mendocino County.  Write that they are a student, the name of the school, and the city and state where the school is located.  Sign your name and write “parent” after it, then return the form to our office.

I have received a summons for a person who is now deceased.  What do I do to take care of this?

Please use the Excuse part of the summons, write “Deceased” and return the form to our office.

I have received a summons for a person who does not live at this address.   What do I do with the summons?

The summons needs to be returned indicating that the person does not live at the address.

I have received a summons for a person who is in active military duty.  How do I handle this?

Please write “Active Military” and the branch they serve in on the summons, and then return the form to our office.

How do I get my name permanently removed for age or medical reasons?

For persons over the age of 70, simply provide proof of age.  For persons under the age of 70, we need a letter from your doctor telling us how long to excuse you from jury service.  If the note from your doctor does not state “Permanently”, you will be excused for the remainder of the calendar year. Please note that even if you are permanently excused, you could still receive a summons sometime in the future if you are still registered to vote or have documents with DMV.

What if my employer does not pay me for jury service?

Unfortunately your employer is not required by state or federal law to pay you for jury service.  However, the law states that an employer cannot terminate your employment for attending jury service.

What if I am self-employed?

There are no business exemptions administered by the state legislature at this time.  You must appear as summoned.

How much do I get paid for jury service?

No jury service fees are paid for the first day of service.  Beginning the second day, jurors are paid $15.00 per day plus 34 cents per mile one-way from home to court for each day of service.

© 2020 Superior Court of Mendocino County