Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


- Face coverings required for everyone while inside the courthouse, regardless of vaccination status.

ADVISO DE SALUD PÚBLICA - Deberá usar cubrebocas en el edificio del tribunal, aunque esté vacunado.

Guardianship of the Person

What Is a Guardianship?

  • A guardianship is set up when a child is living with an adult who is not the child's parent, and the adult needs a court order to care for the child and make decisions on the child's behalf.
  • Generally, probate guardianships are for children under 18.
  • A guardianship does not end the parental rights of the parents.
  • Probate guardianships can be of the person (for the care of the child), of the estate (for the care of the child's finances), or both.

We can only help you with the probate guardianship of the person.

How Do I Get Help?

Contact the Self-Help Center during our regular hours.

You can also take an online workshop to help you with all the forms. Click to register for a workshop.

And you can use an online form completion program to fill out as much of your paperwork as possible. Then you can email or send us the file for us to review all your forms. If you do this, make sure to create an account so you can save your work.

Click here for a program to help you fill out forms to start a case


If there is already a guardianship case started and you have questions or need help filing something in the case – like visitation rights or to end the guardianship – contact us during our regular hours so we can help you.

Is a Probate Guardianship Always Necessary?

No. We can give you general information about alternatives to a guardianship so that you decide what is best in your case. Click to read about alternatives to guardianship if you would like to know more before talking to us.

Was this helpful?