Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Photos by Adam Stewart
Metal sea dragon at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens - Photo courtesy of Adam Stewart
When and Where:


Ukiah: 100 North State Street, Room 304 (3rd Floor)
  Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm


If you need help asking for guardianship of a child, in probate court, the Self Help Center can help you during our regular hours.  Or email us at



What is a Guardianship?

  • A guardianship is set up when a child is living with an adult who is not the child's parent, and the adult needs a court order to care for the child and make decisions on the child's behalf.
  • Generally, probate guardianships are for children under 18.
  • A guardianship does not end the parental rights of the parents.
  • Probate guardianships can be of the person (for the care of the child) and/or the dstate (for the care of the child's finances).

We can only help you with the probate guardianships of the person.


How do I get help with a Guardianship?

Come to the Self-Help Center during our regular hours.

You can also use an online form completion program to fill out as much of your paperwork as possible before you come in. If you do this, make sure to create an account so you can save your work.

Click here for a program to help you fill out your paperwork


Is probate guardianship always necessary?

No. We can give you general information about alternatives to a guardianship so that you decide what is best in your case.


What if there is a guardianship case, and I have questions or need help?

If the case was already started and you have questions or need help filing something in the case – like visitation rights or to end the guardianship – come during our regular hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

© 2020 Superior Court of Mendocino County